I wanted to make something rich and creamy with meat and I found this quite easy to cook. My mantra is always, fast to cook good to eat. Result was awesome, can make a highlight of your meal..
Attention : This is a very very rich dish
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) natural yoghurt
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1kg chicken breast fillets, chopped
- 125g cashews, roasted
- 60g unsalted butter
- 1 tbs sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 Indian bay leaf* or normal bay leaf
- 2 tsp sweet paprika ( I used Kashmiri Chilli powder with a pinch of sugar)
- 425g can tomato puree*
- 150ml chicken stock ( I used hot water)
- 250ml (1 cup) thickened cream
- Steamed basmati rice, to serve
- Combine yoghurt, lemon juice, turmeric, garam masala, chilli, cumin, ginger and garlic in a bowl. Add chicken and stir well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Reserve half the cashews and place remaining cashews in a food processor. Process until finely ground.
- Heat the butter and oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion, cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaf and cook for 2 minutes until the onion starts to soften. Reduce heat to low, then add chicken and marinade, paprika, tomato puree, cashew powder and stock. Simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in cream and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Garnish with cashews, chopped coriander and serve with rice.
Begin this recipe the day before. * Indian bay leaves are available from spice stores. Note: Tomato puree not tomato paste.